Very few things in life are equal parts exciting and terrifying as first dates. A mixture of anxiety and expectation looms as you prepare to meet a person that could potentially change the course of your life forever.
Meeting singles should be fun. It’s normal to feel a little bit nervous when new to online dating or getting ready for a first date.
But this really is supposed to be an exciting time of your life. How do you replace those annoying jitters with emotions a bit more positive?
Make a rocking playlist of songs that will calm your worries and pump you up for first date!
Music has been proven time and time again to lift your mood and reduce anxiety. It’s also been shown to be an incredibly effective coping strategy, meaning that if you want to feel a certain way, playing the appropriate songs can help get you there.
If you want to make online dating a little bit easier, enjoy meeting singles rather than dread it, get creative and play some songs for your adventure.
Need a little help putting some songs together before your upcoming first date? Check out these playlists we’ve created and pick the one that works for you!
Songs for when you’re too excited for anything else
You’ve been looking forward to this first date for a while and you are ready to do this. Online dating is, you hope, a thing of the past because this date is going to rock!
Turn up the volume and get ready to rock and roll! These songs will help you get out that nervous excitement as you rock out to fun, upbeat tunes.
- I’m So Excited – The Pointer Sisters
- Book of Love – The Monotones
- Crazy in Love – Beyonce
- Your Love is my Drug – Kesha
- More than a Feeling – Boston
- It’s Raining Men – The Weather Girls
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- The Final Countdown – Europe
- I’m Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
- I Feel Good – James Brown
When you need songs to help you relax those first-date nerves
Meeting singles can be fun and exhilarating, but sometimes you need music that will help keep you calm. This playlist does just that. Enjoy the great songs below while getting ready for your big first date.
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
- Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars
- My Love – Justin Timberlake
- Girlfriend – NSYNC
- Marchin On – One Republic
- Man in the Mirror – Michael Jackson
- Happy Together – The Turtles
- Lovefool – The Cardigans
- Fly Me to the Moon – Frank Sinatra
- Uptown Girl – Billy Joel
When you want to feel empowered before your first date
Maybe you had a recent breakup, or maybe you’re just tired of feeling like your life revolves around online dating and meeting singles that haven’t really impressed you. The songs below will help boost your mood and keep you hopeful in the knowledge that Mr. or Mrs. Right is still out there, and this may be your night to meet him/her.
- Love Story – Taylor Swift
- This is my Fight Song – Rachel Platten
- Rule the World – Walk off the Earth
- Roar – Katy Perry
- Stronger – Kelly Clarkson
- I’m in Love – The Cure
- Tonight’s Gonna be a Good Night – Black Eyed Peas
- Dancing Queen – Abba
- I’m Coming Out – Diana Ross
- Flawless – Mercy Me
When you’re really ready for this first date to lead to something deeper
You’ve spent a lot of time in online dating apps and you are going to scream if you keep meeting singles that you don’t mesh well with. We hear you. This first date may very well be the one you’ve been hoping for and this playlist will help you realize that. Blast the songs below and get ready to take on the night. You’ve got this!
- You Can’t Hurry Love – Phil Collins
- Don’t Let it Break your Heart – Coldplay
- Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2
- Mercy – Duffy
- Just One Look – The Hollies
- Everywhere – Fleetwood Mac
- Feel this Moment – Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera
- You’re the one that I want – Olivia Newton John
- That’s My Kind of Night – Luke Bryan
- Someone Like You – Adele
When you’re feeling a bit anxious about that first date
Excited, but too nervous to really enjoy it? This playlist is for you. Meeting singles can wreck your nerves, and sometimes music that is too fast paced or upbeat can actually increase your anxiety, so better to play it safe with a calmer soundtrack if you’re feeling jittery. Turn up the songs below and let you nerves mellow out a bit so that you can relax enough to enjoy your first date.
- To be with You – Mr. Big
- I’m a Believer – The Monkees
- Stand by Me – Ben E. King
- Perfect – Ed Sheeran
- I Got You Babe – UB40 feat. Chrissie Hynde
- I Want to Hold Your Hand – The Beatles
- All I Wanna Do Is Have a Little Fun – Sheryl Crow
- Love is Like a Butterfly – Dolly Parton
- Watermark – Enya
- When You Say Nothing at All – Keith Whitley
Saint Augustine once said that singing is praying twice, and who isn’t lifting up prayers in a big way before a first date? We all know that feeling of butterflies and/or anxiousness that hits before we venture out meeting singles in a new setting or in a new way. It can be daunting, but it can also be really fun.
To really get the most out of online dating, or dating in any way, allow yourself to relax a bit, and use some good songs to get there!
Live life, every circumstance, with a joyful heart and if music can help you get there, get listening!