Do you ever find yourself getting excited about a date night, only to worry about what you’ll talk about? If so, you’re not alone. Dating can be perplexing because while its literal purpose is to get to know someone, that can be a scary thing to do.
What if you want to ask deep questions, but the single Catholic guy you’re going out with wants to keep things pretty shallow on the first date? Or what if you don’t know enough about her to start a conversation about hobbies or politics? Whether it’s your first or fifth date, it can be hard to know how to start dialogue about meaningful topics.
Enter conversation starters. Questions and prompts for good conversation can be especially helpful in the Catholic dating world because they can incorporate everything from religion to sports.
If you’re wanting to have a good conversation on an upcoming date, here’s a healthy mix of faith based and secular questions to get your creative juices. Be prepared with these interesting conversation starters and the only thing you’ll need to worry about is which kind of coffee or wine to order!
1. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
This is such a great question because it offers your date a chance to talk freely about themselves. It’s also a good way to figure out how similar or different you two are. And as an added bonus, you can take note of their answer to help you plan future dates.
2. If you could spend a day with any saint, who would it be and why?
Get their wheels turning with this interesting prompt. This question gives insight into the type of spiritual life they have without seeming intrusive.
3. What is your favorite prayer of all time?
Everyone has a favorite prayer. What’s yours? It’s an easy question and can go as deep as you want it to.
4. Have you ever had a dream that was so real, you still can’t shake it? What was it about?
Dreams are windows to the soul! Or is that eyes? Well, either way this is a fun subject to talk about on a date. We’ve all had that one dream that still perplexes us to this day!
5. If you could go pro at any sport (you don’t have to be good at it now!), what would it be?
Soccer, tennis, water polo? Let’s say that magically you woke up tomorrow morning and were so amazing at a sport you could go pro. What a fun scenario to imagine!
6. In your opinion, who was the greatest pope of all time?
I know, I know, in our generation it will be hard to find someone who doesn’t pick Saint Pope John Paul II. But, just for kicks, give it a shot and see. Some people may surprise you.
7. Which of your friends have you been friends with the longest?
Asking who your date cares about is a great place to start when you’re getting to know them. This shows that you want to know more about them and the people they love. Their answer can tell you a lot about what friendship means to them and what qualities they look for in a relationship.
8. If you could change five things about your past, what would one of them be?
If you’re looking for a question that gives an opportunity to go deep without the pressure, here you go. You’re not asking what ONE thing they would change. Instead, you’re giving them the option to pick something pretty superficial. This is a great topic that can morph into a full dialogue or be laughed over before moving on to the next subject.
9. Who in your life has had the biggest impact on who you have become?
To really get to know someone, you need to know what/who has shaped and inspired them. A parent? Teacher? Priest? You can learn a lot about someone by who has been instrumental in their journey.
10. If you could be amazing at anything (instrument, singing, acting, etc) for one day, what would it be?
I recently saw someone ask this on Instagram and I was intrigued. It’s a really good question, but I had a hard time answering it because there are so many options. Wouldn’t you like to know what your date would respond with?
11. Are you a traditional or Latin Mass kind of person?
So are you an ora pro nobis or with your spirit kind of gal? Which Mass a person prefers can say a lot about how they like to worship. This is a Catholic dating must know!
12. What is your favorite season?
If this relationship works out, will you spend the winters bundled up on the couch in front of a fire or skiing down the slopes of Colorado? These are good things to know!
13. Are you team Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Parlor?
Social media is the way of the world today. Some people love Twitter while others think it’s the devil’s den. There’s definitely a big push for less censored media like Parlor. Which way do you lean?
14. What is the hardest thing you’ve ever given up for Lent?
Here’s a great Catholic conversation starter AND could give you some good ideas of your own.
15. How did you feel about not being able to go to Mass in person during the Pandemic?
We’ve all been through a lot over the past couple of years. This question opens up conversations about the other person’s experience with the pandemic and can also be a great theological question about the beauty of the Eucharist.
16. Is there anything that doesn’t bother most people, but drives you crazy?
Well? It would be good to know this right off the bat, wouldn’t it?
17. Have you ever witnessed or experienced what you would call a miracle?
How often in life do people talk about miracles? Not enough in my opinion. Catholic dating is fun because it can open up conversations you would never have at work or in spin class.
18. Do you have a talent that you would consider useless? What is it?
People love talking about themselves. This is a great way to let them go ahead and brag for a minute. It also may provide some fun fodder for the rest of your conversation
19. Are you a book or movie person? Favorite ones?
Easy, no pressure kind of question to answer. What’ll it be? The Bible? Ozark? Only one way to find out!
20. If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
Best question ever. Seriously, you just can’t top this one.
21. Let’s say you could change one thing about the world right now. What would it be?
Covid, the war on Ukraine, negative temperatures? This could be one of the hardest questions ever to answer!
Have fun with these Catholic dating questions! They are crafted to help ease you into fun and or deep conversation without pressure or awkwardness.
And if they help inspire your own, print this off and add them to the list!
Ready to put these conversation starters to the test? Download the Catholic Singles online dating app and start chatting with other single Catholic men and women who share your values!