23 Quotes from the Saints to Help You Trust in God
It’s no easy to thing to have perfect trust in God. Even when we know intellectually that he loves us and will provide for our needs, it can be hard to live like we truly believe he will take care of us.
When we look to the saints, most of them probably came a lot closer to truly trusting in God than we do.
So it should be no surprise that many of the saints had a bit to say about trusting God and living like we know he will take care of us.
It can be easy to fall into the trap of feeling like we have to find a way to solve all the difficulties in our lives by ourselves. But the saints have some things to say about letting go of our worries and anxiety in favor of trusting God.
Times of emotional, mental, or physical sufferings are perhaps some of the most difficult times for us to trust in God. Here are some of our favorite quotes from several different saints on trusting in God and his providence in our lives.
1. “We must often feel weary and tired yet God brings us through all these things.” Saint Mary MacKillop
2. “If God sends you many sufferings it is a sign that He has great plans for you, and certainly wants to make you a saint.” Saint Ignatius of Loyola
3. “Courage, courage, trust in God who helps you in all things.” Saint Mary MacKillop
4. “Do not fear what may happen tomorrow. The same loving Father who cares for you today will care for you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginings.” Saint Francis de Sales
5. “Trust in God’s Providence, interfering–as it always does–for our own good.” Saint Mary MacKillop
6. “Lay all your cares about the future trustingly in God’s hands, and let yourself be guided by the Lord just like a little child.” Saint Edith Stein
7. “Have courage, trust in God, St Joseph and our Blessed Mother, and you need have no fear.” Saint Mary MacKillop
8. “Do not have any anxiety about the future. Leave everything in God’s hands for He will take care of you.” Saint John the Baptist de La Salle
9. “Pray, hope, and don’t worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayers.” Saint Padre Pio
10.”When I want something very much I thank God beforehand for I feel God will certainly grant what He has been thanked for.” Saint Mary MacKillop
11. “I see that God never tries us beyond what we are able to suffer. Oh, I fear nothing; if God sends such great sufferings to a soul, He upholds it with an even greater grace, though we are not aware of it. One act of trust in such moments gives greater glory to God than whole hours passed in prayer filled with consolation.” Saint Faustina
12. “Do not let your troubles disturb your trust in God.” Saint Mary MacKillop
13. “Hold your eyes on God and leave the doing to Him. That is all the doing you have to worry about.” Saint Jeanne de Chantal
14. “I knew God would take care of all and make everything right in the end.” Saint Mary MacKillop
15. “Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall a soul except sin. God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry.” Saint Francis de Sales
16. “Pray to be ever ready for God’s will even when it takes you by surprise.” Saint Mary MacKillop
17. “God is full of compassion and never fails those who are afflicted and despised, if they trust in Him alone.” Saint Teresa of Avila
18. “The greater and more persistent your confidence in God, the more abundantly you will receive all that you ask.” Saint Albert the Great
19. “The secret of happiness is to live moment by moment and to thank God for all that He, in His goodness, sends to us day after day.” Saint Gianna Molla
20. “The Holy Spirit leads us like a mother. He leads His child by the hand…as a sighted person leads a blind person.” Saint John Vianney
21. “Those whose hearts are enlarged by confidence in God run swiftly on the path of perfection. They not only run, they fly; because, having placed all their hope in the Lord, they are no longer weak as they once were. They become strong with the strength of God, which is given to all who put their trust in Him.” Saint Alphonsus Liguori
22. “Father, I am seeking: I am hesitant and uncertain, but will you, O God, watch over each step of mine and guide me.” Saint Augustine
23. “God will provide.” Saint John Bosco
God will provide everything you need to carry on and to succeed. When the many circumstances of our lives make it feel difficult to trust in God’s plan for us, turn to the saints for inspiration and heavenly help.
Adrienne Thorne is a Catholic wife, mother, screenwriter, and blogger, as well as author of the Catholic YA romance novel SYDNEY AND CALVIN HAVE A BABY. She blogs about TV and Movies from Catholic perspective at Thorne in the Flesh: A Faithful Catholic's Guide to Netflix, Hulu, and More.